Pages

Friday, September 9, 2011

Quickbook alternatives through Google Apps

One thing that many startups are forced to do is run on a pretty tight budget. Both of the ventures I'm involved with use free, cloud-based platforms when possible. Google Docs for spreadsheets and PDF storage, Yammer for project collaboration, Gmail for email (including the Google Apps version, which lets us easily use a .com domain within Gmail), Adium for instant messaging ... you get the picture. But one thing that kind of scared me when I first heard about it at a small business accounting seminar was the high price of QuickBooks. This is the industry standard application for keeping track of expenses, revenue, purchase orders, and other common functions. It's not cheap: More than $200 for the Mac version. The high price is not surprising. It's an Intuit product and QuickBooks has a lock on the market -- with a lack of viable competitors, and industry standard acceptance among customers and accountants, QuickBooks can pretty much charge what they want. What alternatives are out there? I checked the chatter on Hacker News, but nothing promising popped out. But then I noticed through Google Apps that there are a bunch of free options -- small companies and products that I had never heard of, but had offerings that could replace Quickbooks for companies on a budget. I tried myERP, based on the fact that it seemed pretty comprehensive (ERP, accounting and CRM functions) and it was free for two users, and the Google Apps user ratings were mostly positive. But after activating the app, I was very surprised to discover that there is no tutorial to use this somewhat complex product. The "How to use myERP" was literally a list of features, as this screenshot shows:
I hunted around for a video tutorial, but no dice, even though I saw that other users had asked for them on the support forum many months before. This was very surprising to me as a founder and someone who has dealt with online design and help pages many times throughout the years -- videos are extremely easy to make using QuickTime or other easily available tools, and assuming people on myERP's staff are familiar with the product, it should take more than an hour or two to create a basic "setup" video or videos showing common tasks. But what convinced me to uninstall myERP was lack of support for a very common expense -- mileage reimbursement. The support forum suggested a workaround, but it was convoluted and not a long-term solution. I tried Yendo next. Only one free user for the trial version, but Yendo is much better with tutorials and support, as this video shows: I'm still working through the setup now, but if it can handle the basics I am looking for now -- expense tracking, simple entries, and basic accounting reports, I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment